Things I am obsessed with

February 19, 2012

in random

… recently, and for the time being.

I have never been addicted to anything. Not even to love. That’s the tragic burden I have to bear as someone who can never seem to manage to stick to anything. But once in a while, I have passionate, obsessive affairs with some things that abruptly break into my consciousness to command all my attention, and then leave soon afterwards just as abruptly.

As a piece of evidence to the above tragic character flaw of mine, I present to you, The Ukulele.

CIMG4404 1 600x493 Things I am obsessed with

It showed up from Amazon.com last August. Was used as a prop in several pictures. And then… sadly, it along with the instruction book and CD, was never to be seen again… until last month when I traveled with it all the way to San Francisco for a team building event, and then back, without once taking it out of its bag.

On the night of February 10, I jumped on the Linsanity wagon and stayed up the WHOLE night to follow New York Knicks’ win over Lakers. I was gaga over Jeremy Lin, and all the lin-puns that ensued.

Hey, if even Spike Lee caught the fever, who was I to pretend to be cool, right?

Screen shot 2012 02 11 at 5.46.43 AM 300x97 Things I am obsessed with

Screen shot 2012 02 11 at 5.46.15 AM 300x119 Things I am obsessed with

Screen shot 2012 02 11 at 5.46.58 AM 274x300 Things I am obsessed with

That weekend I had a lot of fun with Jeremy Lin Word Generator (of course!), and below is my favorite:

Linja Things I am obsessed with

Actually, I’d like all of you to start calling me Linja from now on. In return, I will give you the awesome Dynamic Einstein Caption Generator: Have Einstein write anything you want on the blackboard! Yeah, naturally I had fun for a while with Einstein also.

My obsession this weekend? Quicken. Yup. Turns out that I have not reconciled my bank statement on Quicken since… drum roll please… September 2009, interestingly coincided with the time when I started getting to know the blogging community… You guys are a bad influence, you know that (and are probably proud of it too). I am now up to October 2010. Pray for me.

There is one thing that I should be more obsessed with but haven’t got around to it:

Sleep.

I am going to give it a try right now.

Facebook comments:

{ 30 comments… read them below or add one }

Christine @ Fresh Local and Best February 20, 2012 at 12:24 am

I’ve been feeling the same way lately. Sometimes I feel like I like everything but love nothing. Sleep on the other hand is something I could fall head over heels for.
Christine @ Fresh Local and Best´s last blog post…Almond Ginger Granola Recipe

Absence Alternatives February 20, 2012 at 7:20 pm

I had a day off today so I slept until 11 am. WINNING! :-) Now I just want more though… Probably not a good thing to be obsessed with… With your baby so young, you probably need sleep more than I do!

BigLittleWolf February 20, 2012 at 7:18 am

Reconciled bank statements & sleep – both are over-rated, aren’t they?

Loved this post, Linja… Einstein never looked better, and he isn’t even holding a bagel.
BigLittleWolf´s last blog post…Destination… Contemplation

Absence Alternatives February 20, 2012 at 7:20 pm

Thank you for using my latest nickname! :-)

Tricia February 20, 2012 at 11:19 pm

I meant to post a moment here and ended up posting to Facebook! Oops…your ukulele is my garden. Only, I hope cheaper. :)
Tricia´s last blog post…A Conversation About Rainbows {DailyBuzz Moms 9×9 Challenge}

Absence Alternatives February 21, 2012 at 12:46 am

This is a secret I am guarding against my children: How am I going to force them to not be a quitter if they know I am one myself?!

Tom G. February 20, 2012 at 11:41 pm

I bet that your weekly intake of Vodka increased proportionally with your time spent online with the rest of us. Aren’t you glad your tiger Mom can’t protect you from us miscreants?
Tom G.´s last blog post…H.R. Puff ‘n Stuff

Absence Alternatives February 21, 2012 at 12:46 am

You know what? That would have been an awesome graph to chart!

Life in the Boomer Lane February 21, 2012 at 7:38 am

I can relate. Except for that one several years long episode in my life in which obsession ruled the day. To this day, I am grateful that I was a visitor, rather than a permanent resident.
Life in the Boomer Lane´s last blog post…Bye, Bye Babeu

Absence Alternatives February 21, 2012 at 8:51 am

Oooo I like how you put it: A visitor and not a permanent resident. The whole, Citizen, Permanent resident, visitor, can be a nice set of metaphors.

Kathy February 21, 2012 at 8:47 am

I love “Linja”–hadn’t heard that one!
Hugs,
Kathy
Kathy´s last blog post…Rach Gia, Vietnam: The Face of Poverty among the Rice Patties

Absence Alternatives February 21, 2012 at 8:49 am

My husband likes LinSane the best. I wonder why?!

dufmanno February 21, 2012 at 12:22 pm

Full throttle or not at all, I say.
Obsession reminds you to remain engaged and alive. If we didn’t burn hot and bright for things that evaporate quickly we would stagnate and turn beige. Too hard to sustain the gusto for extended periods but when it’s firing on all cylinders? That’s when all the best stuff gets generated.
dufmanno´s last blog post…Super Smart, Tastes Good

Absence Alternatives February 21, 2012 at 6:52 pm

Tru dat! Roar! xxoo

Jack February 21, 2012 at 9:52 pm

“Beware The Linja”

Makes a great sign for a home, far better than beware of dog or some crazy comment about owning a gun. Linjas are scarier than most people, including clowns.
Jack´s last blog post…How To Write a Post That People Will Read

Absence Alternatives February 28, 2012 at 12:33 am

That’s a great idea! :-) Maybe even a t-shirt line?

patty punker February 23, 2012 at 9:08 am

1.) what dufmanno said.
xv.) i’m the same way! current obsession: chess with friends.
!?*.) i too am avoiding pinterest. how long do think it will be before we cave?
abc.) my obsession with you never fades@!
patty punker´s last blog post…get smart

Absence Alternatives February 28, 2012 at 12:33 am

Our love is like Tide: will not fade. Even more brilliant colors after every wash!

Velva February 23, 2012 at 5:44 pm

Linja, I remember your passion for the yukele…I thought how cool was that? I cannot imagine be passionate about Quicken (smile). Now, sleep that’s a passion.

So let me ask you…I know why you are watching basketball…but that means you are watching sports. Hmmm…

Velva
Velva´s last blog post…Wordless Wednesday

Absence Alternatives February 28, 2012 at 12:35 am

I played Basketball and volleyball in high school… Of course I was always the Weakest Link… It was yelled out by our rival teams many times: Give the ball to Lin! There is a legit reason why I HATE sports… That and dodgeball.

Justine February 23, 2012 at 10:03 pm

Linja, you crack me up. Reconciled bank statements. What’s that?

I can understand your obsession. Surely it has nothing to do with the fact that you guys share the same name in some way…
Justine´s last blog post…Sappy family

Absence Alternatives February 28, 2012 at 12:35 am

It’s kind of funny because I imagine billions of people with the surname LIN are enjoying the Linsanity as much as I do!

Diane Laney Fitzpatrick February 24, 2012 at 4:43 pm

I have an obsessive personality (I prefer that to “addictive personality” – it sounds more sophisticated and less crack-whoreish). So I know exactly how you feel.
Diane Laney Fitzpatrick´s last blog post…Curse You, Anais Nin. You’re Ruining My Reading Streak

Absence Alternatives February 28, 2012 at 12:38 am

But… obsessive may also invoke the image of boiled bunny in a pot…

Ameena February 25, 2012 at 9:45 pm

Oh my. First of all, Quicken is a boring product. I love to reconcile on Quickbooks instead! It’s fantastic. And yes, I work in finance so I can say this without being considered a loser. Which I sort of am regardless. As evidenced by the fact I’m writing a comment about Quickbooks on a Saturday night at 7:45pm.

Anyway…

I had a nap in the car today so I feel fantastic. Sleep is definitely under-appreciated.
Ameena´s last blog post…am i boring?

Absence Alternatives February 28, 2012 at 12:39 am

LOL. Naps are the best esp. if they are not planned! It’s like a surprise gift from the gods of time.

Should i look into Quickbooks? No…….. yes? No…… maybe?

Meg at the Members Lounge February 28, 2012 at 11:31 am

February is an excellent month for funky obsession. Helps tick down the days until spring madness!

Absence Alternatives February 29, 2012 at 9:16 pm

Ah, Spring Madness. I completely am unaware of this: had to google it…

vanilla north February 29, 2012 at 11:00 am

Quicken? weekend? really?
wow… good luck with that!! he he
like the “linja” btw :D
vanilla north´s last blog post…I hear the rain

Absence Alternatives February 29, 2012 at 9:16 pm

Yeah… I did… It did make me feel like I’ve accomplished some great feat when I was done and filed everything away.