I am from the Internet

May 2, 2012

in random

I’m waiting for the day when, if you tell someone ‘I’m from the internet’, instead of laughing they just ask ‘oh, what part?’

xkcd

I met a fellow blogger yesterday.  It no longer feels weird to me to meet someone who I have been talking to online, “sight unseen”, for a long time, in real-life 3D.

The Internet is magical in this regard.

Velva from Tomatoes On The Vine and I saw each other in real life, flesh and blood (thank goodness it was all flesh and no blood), for the first time. It did not occur to me how amazing it was that there was no awkward moment at all. It certainly helped a lot that both Velva and her husband are absolutely lovely and warm and easygoing. As soon as we found each other outside the restaurant (no red rose necessary) and gave each other a big giant hug, without a beat, we launched into a fabulous night of great food and even greater conversations as if we have known each other for a long time.

And we have indeed. I guess that is the point.

When we are participating in the blogging community, and its extension on Facebook and Twitter, what I like to call “the greatest social experiment that nobody knows they are in”, we inevitably suspend our suspicion, or rather, we give in to our natural tendency as human beings to trust each other. Although a healthy dose of wariness towards strangers must have helped guarantee the survival of the human race, I believe that the basic trust in people’s goodness must have played just as significant a role. The virtual social network is an interesting arena for us to exercise that push and pull, and if you are lucky, you found yourself getting pulled into the inner circles of some absolutely fabulous people. When that happens, it feels so natural, you don’t even hear the bang when your virtual world and your real life collide.

It is strange how it is not strange at all.

online communities 2 small 516x600 I am from the Internet

I love what xkcd said: "I'm waiting for the day when, if you tell someone 'I'm from the internet', instead of laughing they just ask 'oh, what part?'"

Facebook comments:

{ 13 comments… read them below or add one }

TheKitchenWitch May 2, 2012 at 9:46 am

I love both you and Velva, so I bet you had a great time! Jealous!
TheKitchenWitch´s last blog post…Throw Some Shit in a Pot Soup

Absence Alternatives May 2, 2012 at 12:51 pm

Confession: we did talk about you behind your back (and a very nice back that is, may I add) ^_^ We exclaimed over how awesome you are and the fact that you can write!

Meg at the Members Lounge May 2, 2012 at 11:58 am

I sit back in amazement at the people I’ve met, and the ones I’m dying to meet! I remember at a meet up someone said they were a lurker on my blog; I was so floored. That map is brilliant!
Meg at the Members Lounge´s last blog post…The Mission.

Absence Alternatives May 2, 2012 at 12:52 pm

Isn’t it nice to know that we have fans out there in this cold cold world? :-) Often the feelings are mutual, and that’s why I love it!

Absence Alternatives May 2, 2012 at 12:54 pm

And xkcd.com is awesome. I stayed up until 4 am this morning reading the comics!

Kathy May 3, 2012 at 10:48 am

I’ve met three amazing bloggers in the past 6 months–even attended the blog-based wedding of one. I, too, am from the internet!
Hugs,
Kathy
Kathy´s last blog post…Happy Blipping Birthday!

Absence Alternatives May 4, 2012 at 2:25 am

LOVE IT! :-)

Karen May 4, 2012 at 6:51 am

I am a “lurker” of your blog, and a co-worker/friend of Velva. Very cool to read about your meeting and good time! Looking forward to hearing velva’s tales in person.

Absence Alternatives May 4, 2012 at 8:03 am

Nice meeting you!!!! Hopefully in person one day. we had a great time but I only wish that I were in Aviary with her. Cocktail heaven. Why haven’t I even tried to make my way there?

From now on, please eat my share whenever you get the chance to sample her cooking. ;-)

Alexandra May 4, 2012 at 11:05 pm

LOVE LOVE LOVE THAT.

“I’m from the internet.”

“Oh,yeah? What part?”

T SHIRT material..
Alexandra´s last blog post…A Legend In Your Kids’ Minds

Absence Alternatives May 5, 2012 at 9:10 am

You will be from the land of the fearless giantess. (this is in response to your latest post. :-) )

Velva May 9, 2012 at 6:34 pm

I think Alexandria’s idea about printing “I am from the internet” tee-shirts is a good idea. I think she is on to something!!

I was thrilled to meet you. I met you and felt like I had known you for a long time. You were not a stranger at all. Definitely, no rose necessary. The virtual world is indeed an amazing place. Everyday I am amazed at the wonderful people, that without the internet, I would have never had the opportunity to get to know.

I too, am from the internet (smile).

Velva
Velva´s last blog post…Wordless Wednesday

Absence Alternatives May 14, 2012 at 8:24 am

Maybe we SHOULD make a t shirt! It’s awesome finally meeting you. My dream still is to jump in my car and travel around to knock on your doors! Lol